Wednesday 16 January 2008

Jeff Koinange about Oprah Winfrey and Prof. Wangari Matthai

So as Jeff had suggested, I watched Inside-Africa on August 26, and then wrote to him:

Dear Jeff,

Saw the report about Oprah and I liked it very much and this has given me some ideas about myself.

You may recall that I mentioned on the phone that I want to set up a Foundation out of the eventual proceeds of the book to help underprivileged children (of all tribes) to continue with their school and studies. I will not be able to do it as big as Oprah, but if I can help a few, that's a lot and if I can get the help of others, it will be more.

Now here you could come in: I had tried to get into contact with Oprah to get my book on her Book Show. But I did not get any reply. Can you help me with this?

Could you please also mention to her the importance of this book and also the Foundation. I am sure, she will like both.

Please understand me - I do not want to take advantage of our contact for personal reasons. I think, we can really become friends outside our initial contact regarding the book.

But I want to reach something with my book. It should help to create some understanding about the dirty political games not only in Kenya - and it could help some children to maybe shape the future of their country in offering them better education.

Maybe we even create some future leaders - like Oprah also has envisaged with her project in South Africa.

I will also contact some people like Dr. Njoroge Mungai to assist. I have already established the contact between him and Father Angelo d'Agostini from the Nyumbani Village for Aids Orphans.

Father d'Ag is an old friend of mine and he always wanted to get into contact with Njoroge but did not know how. So I managed and the two have met and now Njoroge has come into his project to help these children. Nyumbani is mentioned also in my book and it is true that the money for my stay which the Government had agreed to pay went to them (abt. 1 Million Sh.) since I stayed at the house of friends (they are really horse breeders and Gideon Moi really came there since he had some of his horses with them). Father d'Ag has read the script of my book before it went to the Publisher and he loved it. He also mentioned that he knew about the 'secret' (Moi's girls) .... so did an Official of the Swiss Embassy.

I hope, you find time to read my mail. I do not expect an immediate answer - although I have to admit that I love talking to you.

Enjoy your stay in Kenya - I wish I could be there too.

Marianne

Much to my surprise Jeff replied immediately:

Marianne,

I think your idea about a school is GREAT .... and so is the book promotion thing on Oprah.... but I think we have to take this slowly as I have just established a 'relationship' with her and I don't want to seem like I'm taking advantage of that .... TIMING is everything they say ..... we need to find the right time and the right 'PLUG' for both stories....

Let me think this through and maybe both of us can come up with a GOOD PLAN TO 'SELL' the idea ...... I'm sure Oprah would be 'HAPPY' that someone else is taking up the 'mantle' and doing what she's done in South Africa .....

By the way, she told me that her next school will be in KENYA ..... apparantely she's GOOD friends with Wangari Maathai and the two have spent time together in Chicago and Wangari 'sold' her the idea of replicating the school in Kenya ....

Maybe you two can collaborate and 'build' it ..... now that would be a GREAT idea .... you would need some 'land' (50 acres) with a 'real' Title Deed .... and the proper license for an INDEPENDENT school ..... think about that aspect and let's keep discussing this ......

I too LOVE talking to you ..... I feel like I've known you ALL MY LIFE !!!!!!!!!

I'll call you soon .... while I'm still in Kenya ....

By the way, I ran into 'TOTAL MAN' Nicholas Biwott at the Norfolk (where I usually stay) ..... he walked up to me and gave me a BIG HUG (I felt a chill go up my spine !!!!!!!!). He said all of KENYA is proud of what I do ..... I wanted to tell him, it's people like him that have given KENYA a BAD NAME !!!!!!!!!! I ran to my room and took a quick shower after that ..... I felt so DIRTY with that HUG !!!!!!!!!

Be well, my friend ..... and we'll talk soon.

Jeff

Believe in yourself ...........
In the power you have to control your life.

Believe in the strength that you have deep inside
And your faith will help show you the way.

Believe in tomorrow and what it will bring,
Let a hopeful heart carry you through.

For things will work out if you trust and believe,
There's no limit to what you can do !

----------------

.......... to be continued ...............

No comments: