Sunday 17 February 2008

Jeff: Please don't give up on me .....

After I had sent the letter to the CNN Bosses informing them not only about London but also about all the correspondence Jeff and I had exchanged regarding the Nigerian MEND Report, Jeff called several times asking me to send another letter to his Bosses informing them that we were trying to find a solution to our 'problems' and also to tell them that he had apologized for what he did to me in London.

He wrote:

Please don't doubt me now ..... you have shaken me to my SENSES ....

And never ever give up on me ............

And like a 'release' of being able to leave the subject of what had happened in London aside, he then finally also wrote about his wife and their child:

I feel like I'm about to be RE-BORN ..... whatever it is (boy or girl) .... I'm hoping it will make my mother FINALLY talk to my WIFE .... they haven't spoken in years ......

Maybe that's why I'm so NERVOUS .... I always wanted this and always thought this would UNITE our family..

And IF it doesn't .... then I don't know what I'll do .....

My sisters have both a son and a daughter each and my brother has a whole bunch of Boys ..

But my mother (in true Kikuyu fashion) has never been 're-named' .... so maybe IF it's a girl, then she can finally be 'reborn!!!!!!!!!! If it's a boy, well and good !!!!!

Does any of this make sense ?????????

JK

Considering fulfilling Jeff's plea to write another letter to his Bosses, I had an idea how to make him realize what a woman feels after having been raped and how much effort it takes to overcome this trauma.

CNN Inside Africa had shown a report about a woman in Johannesburg taking care besides of orphans also of young woman who had endured the same situation I had.

So when Jeff called the next time asking again to write this second letter to CNN, I told him to get into contact with the home and to take over the 'patronage' of three of these young women...... i.e. paying for their living costs, medical care etc.

I explained that it would help him to better understand how women feel after such an ordeal - so my proposal also included spending time with them and not just paying .....

Much to my surprise he immediately accepted my condition and promised to go to see Gail the following Saturday when he was coming back from Ghana.

He then passed Gail's email-address to me enabling me to have direct contacts with her. I wrote to her immediately and announced that Jeff would get into contact with her and for which reason without telling her the background of all this.

It was then Jeff's idea to also include the interview regarding my book in this 'deal'.

Although I did not feel very comfortable about this point since it could give the wrong impression that this was the only thing I was ever interested in. He insisted that he would talk with the people of Inside-Africa whereas the patronage of the girls would kept as his private matter.

You will agree that I tried my best to reach out to him - inspite of the fact that I was still undergoing medical treatment for the injuries sustained in London - I was still having pain and was sometimes bleeding and had to take strong medication to avoid an infection ..... I also had decided to make an HIV-test and another one for Herpes .....

As I mentioned before, Jeff had to go to Ghana to make a report for CNN on their Independence Anniversary.

When I did not hear from him anything for some days, I spoke with my daughter what to do and this is her comment which I then also forwarded to Jeff:

Mami - Jeff is just trying to save his ass ..... don't ever trust him again ... promise !!!!!! He has proved not to be a man any woman should ever trust ...... you should never forgive him ..... he only tries to exploit your - maybe - still existing feelings for him for his own selfish reasons ...... he gives a 'shit' about you - that's the reality and please accept this ..... if not, you are only hurting yourself !!!!!

This damming message from my daughter finally made him react and he also gave the reasons for his silence:

Your Blog is causing all kinds of ripple-effects around the world and I'm starting to get phone calls from all over the place asking about the Date Rape .....

I know you've responded but the damage has been done.

I don't know what to say.

Let's talk when you get a chance. I'm back in Joburg now.

JK

You will realize that he never ever denied anything - nor did he ever comment the letter I had written to all the CNN Officials.

Only once he referred to it when he told me that he understood why I had to do it .....

But he never said that the content of the letter was not true - and this referred also to the details about the Nigeria Report.

On March 8th he then wrote to me:

I have been 'reprimanded' by CNN from emailing anything other than the 'basics' ....... it's causing them great concern.

A few days later we had a long and serious discussion on the phone and agreed at the end on the text of a letter I proposed to send to the same CNN Officials to whom I had sent the first one - including also Anderson Cooper and Oprah Winfrey - which read as follows:

Dear Mr. Walton,

I herewith wish to confirm that I have accepted Mr. Koinange's explanation and apologies regarding the London 'incident'.

Mr. Koinange is an excellent journalist and I think CNN (and the world) need somebody like him.

Sincerely,
Marianne Briner

As I said before, Jeff and I agreed on the text before - and you will have realized that he did not ask me to correct or take back anything I had said in my first letter to CNN. He only wanted them to know that he had apologized to me and that we were trying to come to an agreement.

----------------

------- to be continued ---------



No comments: